Diploma In Culinary Arts- DCA : Overview
This course involves both theory and actual hand on kitchen lab and culinary work experience. The program includes an industry-driven curriculum to teach, test and award industry-recognized certificates to students meeting high standards in food service and restaurant education.
By integrating classroom learning with on the job experiences, Diploma in Global Culinary Arts provides students with opportunities to learn and practice important skills related to leadership and responsibilities of the chefs. These skill sets serve as a foundation to professional, trained, and educated employees. It is a school-to-career path for the people interested in the Hotel, Restaurant or any Food service industry.
- Demonstrate basic knife skills, hand tools and equipment operation, emphasizing proper safety.
- Demonstrate good communication skills, good personal hygiene and health habits.
- Preform safe food handling and sanitation procedures, Identify and use utensils, pots and pans, and demonstrate sage practices operating stove, mixers, blenders, ovens, etc
- Perform basic Culinary Math and its application to the food service industry.
- Demonstrate understanding of standard weights and measures, and scaling of ingredients. Learn and apply the different methods of cooking
- Cook a variety of meats, poultry and fish using various cooking techniques.
- Prepare a variety of fruits and vegetables, starches, legumes and grains using a variety of cooking methods.
- Prepare a variety of fruits and vegetables, starches, legumes and grains using variety of cooking methods.
Prepare a variety of salads and salad dressings and evaluate their flavors.
- Prepare baked goods desserts. Perform recipe yield conversions.
- Prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner food men items from various global cuisines.
- Perform dishwashing and hand ware-washing requirements, and cleaning of production area after each use.
The students will be eligible to enter the hospitality industry in base line and further elevate to the top level managers. Upon successful completion of the course students will be able
- to work independently in the hospitality industry with specialized knowledge on core department of a hotel / Restaurant Kitchen
- to open of restaurant, fast food centers, specialty food service counters, etc
- to continue further study in advance diploma in hospitality management in Gateway College.
Diploma in Global Culinary Arts Program is divided into five main components; the business course, care course, optional course, industrial visit, report writing and internship.
- Business Courses: Business Courses are designed to provide students with background knowledge on the basic of the hospitality industry. This composition consists of two major components: English for Culinary Arts and Material Management.
- Core Courses: Core courses are designed on the functional areas of hospitality operation. It includes, Kitchen Administration and Food Production, Fundamentals of Food and Beverage Services, Food Science and Hygiene, Principles of Vegetable and Ice Carving and Fundamentals of Kitchen Stewarding.
- Optional Courses: the students have a choice of honing their creative skills by learning the expertise of ice and vegetable carving or familiarizing themselves on the running of kitchen stewarding department. The courses are designed to provide additional knowledge and skills within the kitchen brigade.
- Industry Visit and Project Work: Project work is designed for the students to five an observationary frame work of the study. Students are required to visit hospitality industry to observe the operational aspects of running of a full-fledged main kitchen, patisserie, grade manger, and satellite and banquet kitchen and submit a report as per the format. It could be of duration from 2-3 days to one week. Observation project work could be in any Hotel, Restaurant or a Resort. It should be in a complete operational set up.
- Internship and Report writing: Internship is of 6 months in any Star Hotel or Resort property in Nepal or abroad as per the availability. This is very important part of the course as this will bridge the gap between the theoretical input and the real working environment.
Emphasis is laid on a hands on approach to successfully damage the various types of Kitchen.
Culinary Arts Practical Detail
Total 1600 Hrs Practical exposure in the center and Industry with probability of converting it into a Job.
The total course duration is 6 months in center and 6 months internship.
Value Added Course
Every student is required to attain 15 hours “Skills for Employment”, training program which is additionally developed to inculcate the interpersonal skills to increase the employability capabilities in an individual.